Monday, July 14, 2014

To Avignon

Wednesday 2 July
Mark and I had to part ways today. I was going to Avignon on the 11:30 train and tomorrow he goes to Barcelona. He had an exciting day of laundry ahead of him. 

I arrive in Avignon and nearly MELT from the heat. I have a 30 minute walk from the train station to my hostel that seems way hotter and way longer because I have to walk across a bridge in full sun to a campground. Walks always seem much further when you're unsure if it's the right direction. 

I arrive and see...

Oy. The reviews for this hostel hovered around 60% positive so I knew I was in for a treat. 

Bonus: I got free breakfast! But there were rules. 

Also, I had to pay for wifi. SURE, okay it's only 1.50€ for 24 hours but it's the principle! Also there is no kitchen. What kinda hostel IS this. Le sigh

I leave my stuff behind in the room and walk back into the city. 

The hostel was on the opposite side of the river so there were some beatiful views of the city. 

On the bridge into the city



There's a festival happening for the next month and people were running around putting posters up everywhere. It was intense. 



I went to a cafe for some wifi, and ended up with a Kir. I deserved it. 


After a chat to Mom via FaceTime, I went to the Palais du Popes for some sightseeing. It was 6 o'clock, and closed at 8. I figured that 2 hours would be plenty of time and I was right on the mark. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I left right a 8. 



One of the inner courtyards is used as a venue now. I wasn't sure what was happening but it seemed like they were practicing for a play. 







Great views of the city from the top of the Palais. 



I'm exhausted but one thing I've learned is that you need to see something if you're right there. Once you say "I'll come back and see that later" you'll never see it. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. 

With this in mind I power through a beautiful garden right next to the Palais. 





Views from the garden. 



When I get back to the hostel I sat in the grass and enjoyed the view. Also I just didn't want to go inside. It was icky. 


I met some nice girls in my room, and we discussed our choice in this hostel and we agreed that sometimes price wins. I crawled into bed to discover no pillow and no sheets. Scarf to the rescue! Most versatile garment out there ladies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment